Post-meeting release 11/21
Commissioners clarify future schedule, get closer to approving 2020 budget
[Tiffin, OH Nov. 21, 2019] – The Seneca County Board of Commissioners met Thursday morning and finalized its board meeting schedule for the rest of 2019.
The commissioners are to hold board sessions on the following dates:
– Tuesday, Nov. 26 at 9 a.m.
– Tuesday, Dec. 3 at 9 a.m.
– Thursday, Dec. 12 at 10 a.m.
– Thursday, Dec. 19 at 10 a.m.
– Thursday, Dec. 26 at 10 a.m.
The commissioners also may hold one final meeting during the last week of the year. The board’s annual reorganization meeting is to occur on Thursday, Jan. 9.
Also during the session, County Administrator Stacy Wilson gave an update on the General Fund budget. She said although not every wish list item for departments is granted in the latest draft of the General Fund budget, the current estimates are $17.4 million for revenue and $17.3 million for expenses.
The latest proposal would include wage increases only for employees who are in a union. The commissioners could still consider adding salary increases but did not decide Thursday. Commissioners hope to have clearer revenue figures before a decision is reached.
The county’s budget commission, which officially certifies a revenue figure for each General Fund budget, is expected to attend next week’s meeting.
The board hopes to approve the General Fund budget at next week’s meeting, but work is to continue, and more information is to be sought.
Wilson said she also should have a non-General Fund budget ready to consider next week.
In other action, the board approved a resolution clarifying a previously approved resolution that states the county’s position on the sPower industrial wind turbine project’s status under the Alternative Energy Zone. The resolution states “that any new application filed by Seneca Wind LLC with the Ohio Power Siting Board shall not be part of or subject to or receive any benefits of the 2011 Alternative Energy Zone and shall not qualify as a qualified energy project under ORC Section 5727.75. Further resolved, that the Ohio Development Services Agency shall immediately rescind and cancel the Ohio Qualified Energy Project Tax Exemption Certificate for Seneca Wind LLC dated August 31, 2018.”
The resolution can be read here.
In new business, the board approved:
* A $3,000 supplemental appropriation to the DRETAC (delinquent real estate tax and assessment collection) Fund for contract services.
* A $52,000 supplemental appropriation to the General Fund for salaries at the sheriff’s office.
* Setting 10 a.m. Dec. 19 at the commissioners’ office to receive bids for a 2019 Ford Transit U4X-XL vehicle on behalf of the Seneca County Veterans Services Commission.
* Appointing Anthony Paradiso to the unexpired term of Holly Stacy to represent the Seneca County Board of Commissioner on the District Public Works integrating Committee for the Ohio Public Works Commissioner District 16 expiring on April 30, 2021.
* Appointing Melissa Weininger to the facility governing board for CROSSWAEH for a three-year term.